In the world we are living in, diseases like hypertension, diabetes, and heart-related issues are quite prevalent. Every third person out of ten is suffering from any of the above-mentioned diseases. Hypertension is the most common and often ignored health issue by most people. In this article, you will get some facts that you need to know about hypertension.
Hypertension commonly known as high blood pressure. It is the condition in which the force of blood in the arteries is constantly high/raised from the normal level. There are two types of hypertension based on different causes;
It is a common type of high blood pressure, which is generally due to age. As we grow older our blood vessels constrict which leads to high resistance in pumping blood from heart to other parts of the body and vice versa.
This type of hypertension is caused by persistent use of some medicines or some prevalent health issues, which can be controlled by treating the problem or stopping the use of medicines.
Causes that lead to higher blood pressure.
- We all are familiar with the proverb; obesity is the mother of all diseases. With various other diseases obesity also causes hypertension, blood vessels become narrowed due to the deposition of fats which make it difficult for blood to pass.
- Smoking is considered a root cause of hypertension. Smoking which not only leads to hypertension but also several other health problems.
- Diet also plays an important role in maintaining health. Proper balanced and healthy diet saves us from many health issues similarly unhealthy diet can lead towards hazardous health issues.
Hypertension is generally a silent killer and does not have any specific symptoms. In most cases it cannot be diagnosed at the early years until it becomes obvious.
Major Symptoms Of Hypertension
- Headaches are quite common symptoms of hypertension.
- Shortness of breath is also a major symptom of high blood pressure, as blood flow in the vessels is reduced due to constriction of blood vessels.
- Other symptoms include dizziness, chest pain, blood in the urine etc.
We all know “Prevention is better than cure”, here are some basic and easiest prevention one must follow to avoid hypertension.
- By avoiding smoking and alcohol consumption one can lower the chances of hypertension.
- Another major prevention one must take in consideration to reduce risk of hypertension is by managing stress and other medical conditions.
- By taking proper healthy and balanced diet i.e. eating more fruits and vegetables, and decreasing intake of saturated or fat-containing food one can save his/herself from hypertension.
We are what we eat, the food we consume daily greatly influences our health. If you are taking a balanced diet with a proper exercise routine you are actually doing a great favor to yourself by reducing risks of many prevalent diseases. Here are some food items that cause or increase risk of hypertension.
- Taking in high food with high salt concentration can cause hypertension.
- Processed and canned food also increases the risk factor for hypertension.
- Condiments like soy sauce, salad dressing, and different kinds of ketchup, etc. can be involved in raising blood pressure.
Being a human we all one way or other fall for some superstitions and myths.
Myths Related to Hypertension.
- Hypertension or high blood pressure can be inherited from one generation to another.
- Only adults suffer from hypertension. This is not true, children and young people can also have hypertension.
- Other common myths include that consuming wine can cure hypertension, high blood pressure is a gastric problem, it cannot be treated or prevented, etc.
Surprising key facts about elevated Hypertension
- According to research, approximately 1.13 billion people worldwide suffer from hypertension.
- Recent studies and different research say that elevated blood pressure is related to dementia.
- Lifestyle, urbanization, and socio-demographic changes can also cause hypertension.
- Hypertension is responsible for the death of approx. 7.6 million people per year worldwide, which makes 13.5% of the total.
A self-motivated research student of MS Industrial Biotechnology from NUST Islamabad, aiming to spread awareness about key issues by my hard work in building a scientific carrier.